Democracy is “government of, by and for the people.” – Abraham Lincoln.
Democracy day is a day when we celebrate our freedom and the rights we possess as citizens of a nation. Some of such rights include: rights to vote.
The world has recorded great men and women who made this day possible. Here you can find some of their quotes as we celebrate DEMOCRACY DAY.
Democracy Day Quotes From Past National Leaders
1. “Liberty has never come from the government. Liberty has always come from the subject of it. The history of liberty is a history of resistance.” – Woodrow Wilson.
2. “I have a dream that my four little children will one day live in a nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin, but by the content of their character.” – Martin Luther King, Jr.
3. “If freedom of speech is taken away then dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep to the slaughter.” – George Washington.
4. “I understand Democracy as something that gives the weak the same chance the strong.” – Mahatma Gandhi.
5. “Freedom is not something that one people cna bestow on another as a gift. They claim it as their own and none can keep it from them.” – Kwame Nkrumah.
6. “Family first, party next, nation last. For us, it’s nation first, party next, and self last.” – Anurag Thakur.
7. “An eye for an eye only ends up making the whole world blind.” – Mahatma Gandhi.
8. “In these days of rapid Communications, we cannot live in isolation, apart from the rest of the world, even if we wished to do so. All too soon it has become evident that for us, independence implies a great deal more than self-government.” – Abubakar Tafawa Balewa.
9. “The influence which a nation exerts, the respect which it enjoys, and prestige accorded to it on the world scene, depend on two important factors; the size of its wealth and the calibre of its leadership.” – Obafemi Awolowo.
10. “A country’s greatness lies in its underlying ideals of love and sacrifice that inspire the mothers of the race.” – Sarojini Naidu.
11. “We have proved that the true strength of our nation comes not from the scale of our wealth but from the power of our ideals – opportunity, democracy, liberty and hope.” – Barack Obama.
12. “For to be free is not merely to cast off one’s chains, but to live in a way that respects and enhances the freedom of others.” – Nelson Mandela.
13. “Democracy is worth dying for, because it’s the most deeply honourable form of government ever devised by man.” – Ronald Reagan.
14. “An educated, enlightened and informed population is one of the surest ways of promoting the health of a democracy.” – Nelson Mandela.
15. “The ballot is stronger than the bullet.” – Abraham Lincoln.
16. “A great democracy has got to be Progressive or it will soon cease to be great or a democracy.” – Theodore Roosevelt.
17. “Democracy is such a framework that everyone has the right to live their lives, fix their goals, their aims, thier dreams and the ways to achieve them according to their own choice.” – Narendra Modi.
18. “We must nurture tolerance, collective wisdom wisdom and democracy.” – Nelson Mandela.
19. “Not everybody can be famous but everybody can be great, because greatness is determined by service.” – Martin Luther King, Jr.
20. “The advancement and diffusion of knowledge is the only guardian of true liberty.” – James Madison.
Happy Democracy Messages/SMS
21. If you give up on freedom, you give up on life, as freedom is what makes this life worth living. Do not let go of your freedom and do not forget to celebrate it on this Democracy day. Enjoy your holiday.
22. Our mothers and fathers were beaten, humiliated, detained, striped naked because they fought for their rights and the rights of their children unborn(us). On this day, we celebrate them and rejoice in our freedom.
23. When we stand up for our rights, we stand up for our freedom. Freedom is what we need and what we all crave. On this Democracy day, remember to celebrate freedom.
24. Did you know that thousands of men and women gave up their precious lives just we could enjoy the freedom we enjoy today? Today, as we remember our fallen heroes, let’s celebrate our unrestricted freedom. Happy Democracy Day!
25. In diversity lies our unity. In the differences lies our similarities and strength. It doesn’t matter where we come from. We are stronger together. Happy Democracy Day.
26. Freedom is not only a state of being free from colonial rule but the freedom we enjoy in our minds and society. Happy Democracy Day to You!
27. As we stand together, united in one vision of exercising our freedom, the freedom our ancestors paid for with their blood, here and now decide to sustain this freedom by loving ourselves, be our brother’s keeper, and walk in love❤️
28. We long to see a nation where the masses are well represented by selfless leaders. Not a nation with selfish leaders. The freedom we enjoy today was fought for us by our predecessors. Let’s live everyday to enjoy this freedom as we celebrate this day. Happy Democracy Day.
29. In unity, let’s fight against corruption, crime, embezzlement of funds, injustice, terrorism, and racism. Let’s fight to make our country better. Happy Democracy Day🤗
30. It’s a privilege to grace another Democracy Day. A lot has happened in recent times but all this shouldn’t stop us from being loyal, and patriotic citizens. Our country will be great again!
31. Who says we we cannot have a country free from political repression and military assault? As we celebrate freedom from past colonial dominance, let’s embrace a new mentality of friendliness and unity. A beautiful Democracy Day to You.
32. United we stand forever. In the face of all odds, and circumstances, we will bask in the glory of our fatherland. Happy Democracy Day.
Democracy Day Quotes
33. “Democracy and dependence on the military and police are incompatible.” – Mahatma Gandhi.
34. “Democracy cannot be imposed on any nation from the outside. Each society must search for its own path, and no path is perfect.” – Barrack Obama.
35. “Looking at the faces of people, one gets the feeling there’s a lot of work to be done.’ – Woke Soyinka.
36. “There cannot be democracy without daily citizenship.” – Ralph Nader.
37. “The lesson of history is clear: democracy always win in the end.” – Marjorie Kelly.
38. “Democracy is not just a question of having a vote. It consists of strengthening each citizen’s possibility and capacity to participate in the deliberations involved in life in a society.” – Fernando Cardoso.
39. Democracy is “government of, by and for the people.” – Abraham Lincoln.
40. “Someday, I hope that we will be patriots of our planet and not just of our respective nations.” – Zoe Weil.
41. “No matter how big a nation is, it is no stronger than its weakest people, and as long as you keep a person down, some part of you has to be down there to hold him down, So it means you cannot soar as you might otherwise.”- Marian Anderson.
42. “Democratic nations must try to find ways to starve the terrorist and the hijacker of the oxygen of publicity on which they depend.” – Margaret Thatcher.
The above outlined quotes can inspire anyone to have hope despite the pain and struggles we face as citizens in different nations. These quote collections are not just for a specific tribe, race, ethnic group, or continent but for the benefit of every living human being on the planet.